Monday, May 17, 2010

One up, one down

I forgot to tell you the meds are working for Gus. No barfs and we have his appetite and personality back. I can not tell you how happy that makes me. I do think it makes him happier. After one bad day he has been taking his pills like a champ. He does not like them but he takes them. I knew chances were good that he would forgive me for being "the evil pill chucker" when he brought me his favorite rat.

I would be the down one. We helped clean up the grounds at church on Saturday and boy am I feeling it. I think my right hamstring is 2 inches shorter. My walk looks a bit like Frankenstein's, minus the arms and the ughhhhs.

I must be feeling pained because I decided today that I would read Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy this summer. Of course I promptly went to the library on my way home and picked up a bunch of books that were not that one. Denial is not just a river in Egypt!

I have discovered my library has books on blogging, so I checked out half them. Sometimes it is like I think the knowledge will seep into me if I bring them home with me. I forget to actually sit down and read them. I'm hoping to pick up some tips and suggestions that will help me here. Maybe I will even learn how to use HTML. Boy do I sound ambitious.

We were at the bookstore this weekend and I still have a gift card from my birthday burning a hole in my purse. Who knew free money is even hard for me to spend. I find things that I like but then think I should check at the library to see if they have it first. Why spend money on something I can get for free.

Do you ever see people in bookstores buying big stacks of books? That would never be me. I love books but I know my tastes are way too eclectic. It is a case of my eyes being bigger than my attention span. I always feel bad when I spend money on a book that I don't like. Seems like such a waste to me. Add to that I am not what I would call an intellectual and we have a case of book buyer's remorse.

Have you ever read a page of a novel several times trying to figure out what they are talking about, when all they are doing is going to the store? Seriously a whole page telling me that, in words that I assume even you had to look up in the dictionary and thesaurus? I get it you're smarter than me can you just tell the story? I've learned to read book reviews and synopsis the way I read wine bottles. The word tannin on a bottle of wine will get my attention, if it is not preceded by the words soft or well rounded, that bottle is back on the shelf. The words satire and literary do the same for me with books.

What can I say I am a simple girl. One that has read Crime and Punishment and The Count of Monte Cristo but simple non the less.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see that Gus is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my library, too. I have a hard time now buying books when I know I can get them at the library. My husband has been much better at borrowing them, as well. This is great, since the "library" in the basement was getting a bit too much to handle!

    ReplyDelete