Sunday, August 30, 2009

My weekend


This is the unusual harmony I walked in on this weekend. Granted they are sleeping instead of fighting but I think that is my point. Jack, black and white, usually pushes Gus, grey, out to get a warm spot but I think Gus was unwilling to give up the spot he had worked on all day.

I have new yarn!

 

The first is Berroco Ultra Alpaca in a heathered army green color. It called my name and I brought it home. The second is a new sock yarn I found last weekend but forgot to buy in all the new sweater yarn excitement. It is Wisdom yarns Poems sock yarn. It is sort of a plumish/grey color. It looks like it fades from one color to another instead of definite stripes. I will keep you posted as to how that one is working out since I have been dreaming of this coloring method of sock yarn for a while now. I hope it looks as good in reality as it does in my head now.

Next up is my current knitting project and how it rolls around the house with me. My new sweater in progress.

  

The yarn is my first foray into Cascade 220 the so called work horse yarn of many knitters. They claim its qualities to be: inexpensive, consistent quality, great colors and softness. I figure this sweater cost me around $50 to $60. Not bad when you figure in a month's worth of knitting entertainment for me, to boot.

Did you notice the sign of my husband's love for me in the second picture. My super bright knitting bag that he earned for me by riding 50 miles in the Diabetes Tour de Cure this last June. He was gracious enough to let me have it when I started eyeballing it and saying it would make a great everyday knitting bag. It is not something I would have thought of myself but once I picked it up I knew my yarn would love it. The only problem is that Jack thinks it makes an ideal napping surface. A smooth crinkle bag filled with insulating wool, why would that be such an attraction to a cat? Because it comes with its own side car of a knitter?

My Hubby, the sacrifices he makes for us. Although I do pay him back with tea and scones. And eventually another sweater for him to love. That is my current problem trying to choose a yarn for his sweater. We sat down tonight and discussed somethings to see if I am really understanding what he likes or just putting my own spin on things. I think if I can keep it in the family of colors he likes I will be OK. The hard thing for me was nailing down what he likes. I think it can be condensed down into; wine, pine and chocolate. If I can find a yarn in one of those colors it will be good.

I think I am figuring out some of the questions I need to ask in order to understand people better. Specific questions are good as long as you keep them to a minimum. What do you like about that color versus this color. I guess I learn by comparison. Why do you like this and not that? To me they are very similar but one could be just a touch on the pink side of the spectrum.

I try to ask myself the same type of questions at times. Usually when I find myself drawn to something out of the norm for me. I don't like orange and yellow, but I find myself drawn to a burnt orange color. So orange with a hint of dark brown is good for me. I still have not found a yellow that I can live with. These are the types of things I am learning to ask about if I want to eventually knit for other people. Because if I knit for others I am going to want them to like it and want to use it, not just bury it in the back of the closet.

And now I am off to see if I can entice a cat off a half finished sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment