Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Waiting...

I took Gus in to the vet this morning to have and ultrasound done. I don't know what Dr B hopes to find out from the test. I think he is wracking his brain for a solution to our problems. I am hopeful but doubtful of finding the solution.

Gus has been a better on the new food and has perked up but I am extremely cautious at this time. I was hopeful of a cure a couple of times, but now I am resolved to enjoy the time we have left, whether that be a month or five years.

In preparation for the test the order was given for no food after midnight. Well G has me trained now to feed him at 5 am. He comes in and meows at me and I am just thrilled that he is eating so I get up and give him a can of food with his probiotic mixed in. Then I go back to bed for another hour and life is good. Well this morning he was quite confused with me, no food and no amount of begging or demanding could move me. He was still sure that I loved him as I kept petting his fur and telling him I was sorry. But as his Daddy says you can not poop snuggles, so my efforts were unsatisfying.

I made sure I tucked his favorite ball of yarn in the carrier with him. That thing is half as big as he is, I adore seeing him carry it around the house calling for his Daddy. D informs me that I do not get such an honor when I am gone. He usually just plops himself down next to Dad and all is good. (I get no respect as the food giver.)

I did have to change my listening selection to Silent in the Grave again. I am telling you he is half in love with the narrator, or the story I can not tell which. Then again he may just be trying to finish the book, it is a mystery maybe he is longing to find out who-dun-it?

I had switched a day off for me since I wanted to be easily accessible for the vet. You know just in case I was needed urgently. I don't know what about an ultrasound would make me think that but maybe it was more of a case of being too distracted at work that I was avoiding.

So I spent the day at home with a confused Jack. Mom, where did you take Gus? We took a wee nap together. I'll let you figure out whose nap was more wee, his or mine. He was delighted to share my tuna for lunch. I did a total crack down on the food when we switched Gus, I knew the smell of tuna would drive him crazy if he could not have any. So we stopped our bed time treat. Poor Jack, he can not rough house with Gus and no more tuna. It is tough to be the healthy kitty too.

When Dr B called and moved our pickup time back by 2 1/2 hours I really started to worry. Now I am just killing time till I can go get my buddy. Some days it sucks to be the Momma but I would not have it any other way!

Oh, I sealed the deal on being crazy cat lady, I asked them to save Gus's fur for me if they have to shave him. I am crazy cat lady and proud of it!

Edited to add a story.

While I was waiting to talk to the vet I overheard the receptionist talking to a lady about how long the ashes would take and that she was very sorry. As we all know this hit a nerve in me. I sat and watched the very calm lady walk out the door... I had a quick discussion with myself and decided to do something. I grabbed my purse and went for the door. I stepped out and said Ma'am, Ma'am. She turned to look at me in a very quizzical way. I just heard about your pet, I'm very sorry, would you like a hug? She thought for a split second and said yes. Now of course I've got tears in my eyes when she asks me if I have one in there too. Yes I do. She smiled at me and took her leave. I hope for a moment I lightened her load. As I said before I am embracing my crazy cat lady, I just did not know it also meant embracing other people too.

8 comments:

  1. Oh Yarnkettle, you are a wonderful person. I think it would be amazing to meet someone like you at the vet when the inevitable happens. What an inspiration.

    I have a feeling that Gus will come around. I don't know why I think that... but fingers crossed, all will be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      We are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

      Delete
  2. Darn you, getting me to cry at work. What a wonderful thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope Gus is doing ok! Your little story has nothing to do with being a "crazy cat lady", and it has everything to do with you loving your pets and treating them as part of the family. I'm sure you made that woman's day even if it was just a simple hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, if anybody knows how much I love my furballs it is you. I was surprised at how right it felt to make the decision to offer the hug.

      Delete
  4. You did the right/nice thing.

    Hope Gus turns around, but I'm with you on having to learn to do stuff. {{{hug}}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You it certainly felt like the right thing once I made up my mind to do it.
      We're hoping Gus turns around too.

      Delete