Monday, September 14, 2009

Time is on my side, yes it is.

I did something odd today, I mean even odd for me. I timed my knitting pace today at lunch. I knit 44 stitches in a minute on this sock's partner.


That equated to half of a round. Which means I can knit 2 rounds every 5 minutes. Now I don't think that makes me a speed demon, but it is nice to know what I can do. I always wondered at lunch time if I had enough time to get to a certain point, say finish a row. Well now I have an estimate.

I felt sort of strange doing it and luckily I ate outside so there was no one to witness my foolishness. At least I did not see anyone watching me. You think there is someone blogging about how they saw a crazy lady timing her knitting rate today.

In other knitting news I turned the heel on D's sock that I stopped working on to start my sweater. Shh don't tell D that is what I did. Of course the quicker I get my sweater done the quicker I start working on his sweater. I would like to give him a new sweater for his birthday but I really don't think that is going to happen.

Right now I am in a serious planitis phase, you know when all you see is projects that you want to knit and you keep visualizing how you would knit it. I have three on the needles now, with another ten in the one and two slots of next to be knitted list. I am fighting the urge to buy things like yarn(always), books(most of the time) and knitting tools(only when I need them). The knitting tools urge is confusing me, if I have lived without a tool for this long in my knitting career why do I "need" anything new now? Really I don't need anything, but I would like to try some new things. And lets face it I am fairly fiscally conservative, I might just have learned to live without tools that would help me but are not an absolute must have.

I am putting together a mental order from knitpicks now, even though I have 3 socks worth of yarn still not knit up from my initial order. Does this mean that I just need to learn to knit faster or that I finally found my mojo that was missing earlier in the summer. Or does it mean the a winter is around the corner and my body knows it.

My sweater has hit sort of a boring part. It was great when we were camping and I sat and knit on it in the dark in front of the campfire. I am still thinking about that project too. I don't want to do plain ribbing for the hem, cuffs and collar. I think I found what I want to do in Custom Knits. I like a small cable twist in the ribbing, so I am thinking of trying it out. I will let you know how it turns out. Just promise me that you will not tell me if it looks funny. I am not sure I can take honesty in my knitting yet. No that is not right I would rather someone told me it looked funny, rather than wear it for 10 years and have people think I look more of a dork than I normally do. Seriously I wonder that all the time, does this make me look more dorky?

Well I think I have rambled on enough about knitting for one evening, I will try to think of more for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment