Monday, February 4, 2013

Dreaming

You know those repetitive task days where your mind just wanders but your hands are busy? Today was one of those days at work. So all day at work I wrote this blog post in my mind, but now I've got nothing. So go make yourself a cup of tea and I will try to get to the point eventually.

I'm dreaming of some travel. Not really travel for travel's sake but doing the traveling differently. We will be going back to SD this year again and I want to try taking the train instead of flying. But I have so many train travel questions that are currently unsolvable.

My Mother always said I was in love with love. This would be the wordy and most accurate way to say I am a romantic. Romantic is how I am feeling about train travel right now. I am in love with my version of train travel. I want it to be a fun and relaxing way to get from A to B. I want to say I've slept on a train. I have rode the rails. I think of all the knitting and reading I can do. How D and I can sit in the dining car drinking a glass of wine gazing into each other's eyes. How we can play endless games of cribbage and I may even win a few. How we can travel together without the distractions of traveling. No paying attention to the road all day or rushing to catch a plane.

Now you see why my Mother was worried when I talked about marriage. She thought maybe, my glasses were a bit too rose colored and I would have a hard time accepting the realities of marriage. (Like socks on the floor and the cap left off the toothpaste.) (Marriage tip number one: if the toothpaste thing bothers you that much you can just buy two tubes. It really does help!)

I think I just choose to see the world through the glass half full perspective. But since I am an introvert I  also know I need time away from people. 20+ hours on a train full of strangers may not be the most ideal situation for my personality.

I do think many situations are made better with a good attitude. The train may just be a longer version of a plane ride but why not give it a go? I mean other than the trip home, if I really hate it I never have to do it again, right?

6 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to go on a long train journey. When I lived in the UK, I took the train every day for work, and I took the Eurostar under the English channel to go to Paris a couple of times. But a really long trip... that would be nice. I imagine bringing my traincase and my hat and traipsing along the platform to the car... knitting while watching out the window... maybe I better go with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh, I can bring my hat too. This may be easier and harder than flying. So what do you think train knitting should be?
      Maybe you should come with us too, want to learn how to play 3 handed cribbage?

      Delete
    2. Train knitting should be something small and simple, but interesting enough to create conversation with passers-by. Socks, naturally. :)

      I don't know how to play regular cribbage, nevermind 3 handed, but I'm game for anything!

      Delete
    3. It is thanks to you that we relearned how to play cribbage. We learned not to play the cut throat way so we're both happier.

      Delete
  2. My family traveled cross-country when I was in 6th(ish) grade. It was awesome. Get a sleeper car so you have a place to sit alone with each other and you can sleep on a bed. It can get a little boring spending hours or days on a train, but if you plan for it, it's a lot of fun. Call Amtrak to get your questions answered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me about your trip. Honestly it made me consider it as a valid option rather than just a whim. Thanks!
      I am looking into sleeper options. I am still trying to figure out what all my questions are.

      Delete