Saturday, October 23, 2010

Rhinebeck

New York Sheep and Wool Festival is held in lovely Rhinebeck NY. I flew solo this year. It is nice to not have to worry about other people's schedules and if they are judging you for stopping at both rest stops on the way to Rhinebeck. (What I have a small bladder) But it is a bit more lonely too. 

I decided to try going on Sunday this year instead of Saturday. Saturday is such a mad house, long lines for everything and the crowd is overwhelming. I had heard Sunday is less crowded and the book signing is that day too. Sadly the Yarn Harlot was unable to attend this year. I took my book just in case she was there. 

I have not made up my mind which is better. I guess both are better for different reasons. Saturday: more excitement, lots to see, better selection. Sunday: less people, other people's blogs to point you in the right direction. 

Our Tom Tom GPS almost got chucked out the window on the way down there! It kept trying to get me off the interstate to take me down back roads. No Thank You. We did that one year and I did not like it. My second issue occurred when it tried to make me take the 4th exit on a roundabout? That would be back the way I came? Just goes to show that you should always check the route before taking it. No I was not foolish enough to blindly follow it. I instead blindly followed my own stubbornness and tried to find it myself, after I verified it was trying to make me backtrack. Finally I got frustrated and pulled over and rebooted it. Worked like a charm, when I was 5 minutes from the fairgrounds. I should have just followed the yarn scent.


This shawl was absolutely gorgeous! If I remember correctly it was one of a set that someone designed for a friends' wedding. Custom colorway and pattern. I would love to see the pictures from that wedding.   I wonder if the bride wore white or had a dress color similar to the shawl. I can see it draped over a white dress to pop the color. Just fantastic!


Other shawls and wraps. Also beautiful. Can you tell I am itching to make another shawl or eight? I think my phase will start with some triangle ones first. I have some great alpaca calling my name, how have I been able to resist this long?


Yes that is a team of llamas (I think, can't see the ears) hitched to pull a buggy. There were three of them across. How cool of a ride is that? Talk about driving while impaired though, all those fiber fumes wafting back to you.

And we can not forget the other lovelies that grow us mine all mine our yarn. Sunday was pretty warm so the were panting up a storm.




I wanted to get a picture of how the kid was behind pushing the sheep but I missed it. 


There was some shearing going on in that tent.


See now quite as crowded as on a Saturday. But you could tell people were running lower. Yarn fumes had run their course and reality was just a step closer than the day before.

I had looked at my projects listed on Ravelry to see if I needed a color shake up. Turns out even though I like blue and green a lot, I tend to buy more reds. I think I see more shade differences in the red color family. It is not just red, it's magenta, burgundy, rose and scarlet. Blue is just blue to me. I know I've picked up yarn and said to myself no you already have blue socks. I'm only allowed one pair of blue socks? Come on! So this year I gave myself the ok to buy other colors besides reds.


You think I may have swung the complete opposite direction?


Fiber Optic yarn is new to me. They had great colors. I picked up one blue then the other blue and tried to decide between them, then I decided I did not need to, Hubby and I both like blue and both wear socks. Win - win. The green is a 10% cashmere blend, it feels so good. Who knew even 10% would change the feel so much. I'm trying to decide if I want my first cashmere socks or a lush cowl.


Shelridge Farm pulled me into my first purchase with them. I don't know if it is intended to be sock yarn but I know I intend for them to be socks. Don't worry there are two of each color, I just did not shlep them all out to be photographed.


The big news this year was that The Sanguine Gryphon got a late invite to come. I saw the booth early on but also saw the line. I decided to come back when I could get into the booth. I think I may have snagged the last skein of Bugga there. Who knows? It is called Blue Duke but I don't see it. I do love the color no matter what it is named. My dirty little secret is I almost put this back. Crazy I know. See it is also a cashmere blend, in a green, and just a bit more spendy. Then I thought "You're going to regret it". I would have too. The whole ride back home would have been a self cussing out session. I really do like it a lot. I am leaning towards a cowl with this one too. I think I want the cashmere near my face not my feet. But I am going to marinate on it for a bit before I cast on. You don't want to rush into these things.

Yay for me.

Oh and for the record, I did stop by the booth where the Socks that Rock yarn is sold, they still had some left but it was either in a colorway I already have or not to my particular color love. But if I had my heart set on some I could have bought it.

So the moral of my story is... it is ok to try a different day just don't have your heart set on anything because it may already be on its way home, but not your home.

2 comments:

  1. JEALOUS! I am hoping to get to Rhinebeck next year, if possible. I used a skein of Fiber Optica in the Espresso colourway to make a scarf recently - delicious stuff! And the blues are gorgeous! Can't wait to see the socks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do make it to Rhinebeck, I would buy you a coffee, or tea.

    ReplyDelete