Saturday, June 29, 2013

Some Summer Reading

So I've been working my way through The Help by Kathryn Stockett on audio. I am loving the use of multiple voice actors reading the book. I thought it would be distracting, but the book is written from the view point of three characters. The story progresses through all three characters each one having a chapter. So you don't really get the voice overlapping which has been distracting to me in the past.

I've been enjoying the book but I don't love it. As with many things I don't understand why some things become so very popular and other things do not. So far I'd say go ahead and give it a try but don't expect it to be your favorite. If it does turn out a favorite of yours; I'm happy you enjoyed it.

I've picked up a new mystery series from the library too that I'm cruising through, Kilt Dead by Kaitlyn Dunnett. When you set your story in a town named Moosetookalook, you have my attention. When you name your second book Scone Cold Dead, you made me stop and take a look at your first book.

Am I the only one that hates reading books out of order? I am always afraid that something will be disclosed in a later book that will override my enjoyment of a previous book. Sometimes I think way too much.

I've run into a bit of a problem with my library though. I've enjoyed books 1-3 of the Phryne Fisher series by Kerry Greenwood but books four and five, they do not have. So it looks like I will need to buy them for my Kindle if they exist. But in the mean time I have plenty of other things to occupy myself with. I just find it odd they would skip books from the middle of a series. Then again I believe these are Australian books so maybe it is a distribution issue. 

I've got a couple of books on order from Amazon too. They are of course knitting books so I am excited to show them off. Don't you just love new knitting books? They're almost as good as new yarn, almost.

No comments:

Post a Comment