Sunday, July 28, 2019

Inspecting our Black Sheep Gathering 2019 haul

My second Black Sheep Gathering was fiber full, just like last year. So that means I have been a spinner for a year now. Woot woot!

Let's take a sniff through the stash shall we? Melissa started us off. I think she may have a preference for natural fibers. She may take after Gus that way, he liked a rustic wool.



Well Mellie, do you think Momma's new sticker is right? Does Momma speak fluent cat?


Yeah Momma you do... with a funny accent. 
What kind of accent? I don't know a Momma accent?


 Yes the sticker is Burt approved too.

Actually Burt likes to lick plastic. Eww I know but we all have our quirks. So he was licking the overwrap for my new needles.

I think I buy needles, usually sock needles, everytime I see Carolina Homespun's booth at a festival. I started buying at Rhinebeck because they're one of the few supply vendors there. And I have continued here. I knit most of my socks on 2.25mm Knitter's Pride dreamz wooden needles. I always have multiple socks on the needles so I "need" more needles. Well, that and needles do wear out an break with use. I also like trying out different needles so this time I bought zings. 

Back to the festival talk. When I decided to have lunch I was joking with a group of ladies in front of me, I tend to lose a bit of my introversion when I'm surrounded be fellow fiberistas. One of the ladies who I thought was part of a group was really not part. She waved me over to her when I turned to find a seat. We had a lovely chat about wool and where life takes us. She was a Vermonter that now lives west coast. She had taken a class many years ago that was taught by a South Dakotan, and was disappointed because the class was altered to fit the need of most of the students but not her need. She mostly understood but was still disappointed to not learn what was advertised. Anyways we had a lovely chat that did not drain my introvert battery. 

I'm always surprised when this little vignettes happen at fiber festivals. I still remember watching two ladies talk about how weird hair growth felt after cancer treatments at one Rhinebeck. So thanks happy lady for sharing lunch and the love of fiber with me at BSG.

Now onto what I bought: seven bumps of fiber from Shaggy Bear Farm to fill in more of my collection from her fold. I leaned to finer fibers since I did not tend to get them before. Two colors of fiber from Greenwood fibers, and two braids from Renegade Fibers. Filling out the non fiber side of the haul include a copy of Ply magazine, a tool for picking up stitches, a tool to tell us what weight fiber is spun at, stitch markers, DPN needles and a lovely basket. But you've already seen the basket put to use.


No comments:

Post a Comment