Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Favorite Time of the Year - Burt Edition

Hubby blindsided me with a question the day before Thanksgiving, Do you know where the tree is?

First of all, I am still mostly back in July or August in my mind only now we have cooler weather. When did November get here? I may just refer to this as the missing year.

Second, part of me thought we would not put up a tree this year. Of course that idea was raised in the middle of the move, when we had not yet seen the apartment. We were not sure if we would have space.

Anyways I did indeed have an idea where the Christmas tree was stored. We pulled it out and brought it upstairs, then we looked at Burt... How would our used-to-live-outside kitty adjust to having a fake tree appear in his space? Especially since it smells like our old house and Gus and Jack. You've seen the pictures Gus loved the tree almost as much as me.

We pulled out, put together, and fluffed the tree. I promptly dissolved into memories and tears. So many emotions. We fought so many battles while the tree was up. Gus always seemed to fall ill in the winter. I'm know he fell ill the rest of the year too, but we always wondered if each Christmas was his last. And Jack went so fast it was hard to believe he was no longer here.

So after the tears we decided to leave the tree up undecorated to see how Burt would do with it. If we came down the next morning and it was laying on the ground... maybe only the lights would go on it.

Burt did a thorough investigation of the plain tree. He was figuring out how to climb it and tried to sharpen claws on the metal trunk. Then he laid down underneath and accepted that we put up fake trees in this house for some reason, most likely not for kitty entertainment?

The next evening we decorated our still standing tree.



Burt was delighted! Maybe it is an entertainment system.


He did follow Daddy out to the kitchen to see if mousie wanted to play.


Then it was time to admire all the dangling ornaments.


We decided to put Gus's bed underneath as with years past. D put the shawl of healing in too. 

The next day I saw the tree move a bit. I heard a cat toy rattle and a bell jingle slightly.


Gus said I could play with his shawl! He did!


He said it might heal you, Momma, to see this.

Yes Burt, that does help me feel better. Remember no knocking over the tree though.

I'm trying not to Momma! 
I do love Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Aw... sniff. This is a hard time of year for me, too... We lost Rascal this time of year. I'm glad you have Burt there to bring you some smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thankful that you have that puppy at work to give some love to, I know it is not the same but I hope it helps.

      I'm glad that we have Burt to make us smile too. He grows more in our hearts every day.

      Delete
  2. Awww Burt's cute. You are all healing each other. New memories to soften the ache of the empty space your boys left when they moved to a new place to wait for you.

    ReplyDelete