Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Sometimes It Works Sometimes It Don't

My knitting continues its eternal struggle with me as its knitter. It swears gnats have longer attention spans than I do. 

I cast on for a cool mitten for D. I did a simple cuff, then because it is colorwork I stalled out again. I really should love color work more than I do. It is just going round and round like I love but once I introduce my left hand to the concept that it too has to hold and manipulate the yarn all fun goes away. I think it is having to manage floats, tension and tacking down yarns that just sucks the joy out of it. 

My left hand is happily and firmly installed as a knitting needle manager. It does not hold with my new fangled ideas of managing two yarns with two hands. It pushes yarn up the needle and onto the other needle, that is it! No wrapping yarn around it! That is old Righty's job!
  

 Sorry for all the exclamation marks my left hand feels very strongly about colorwork. 

I've been getting over the concept of not mixing brands of yarns. I have a beautiful maple gradient from Huckleberry Knits that I think would make a wonderful shawl. However I have found one skein shawls are too small for my linebacker shoulders. I am short but my shoulders are wide enough to require two skeins. 

I spent some time tossing the stash and found a great blue from Boss Kitty that compliments the colors of the gradient very well.


I cast on a wee swatch to see if I could make it work and it did. I searched my new pattern books and found a good two color shawl that was going to look great. 



I happily cast on and started to knit just to see how it would look. Then as I entered into Ravery I realized I needed twice the amount of gradient. I had been looking at so many patterns that I had not checked all the details. So now I think I will go another route but first maybe finish up something else. 



Because Mellie only has four shawls on her ottoman. Poor princess needs more snuggly shawls from Momma. How is a girl to get any rest with only four shawls to hog snuggle?

No comments:

Post a Comment