Wednesday, May 31, 2023

In the Garden

I was very excited when the previous owners of our house left the raised garden beds. We have two of these metal beds, and I would like to add more. But I am a cautious unskilled gardener so I figure start with what you have and keep busy planning out more for next year. 

When the weather turned nice I so wanted to buy and plant all of the things. But my inner farmer's daughter told me it was way too early. Early April or late March is still too early even in New Mexico. But I planted some cold/cool weather seeds, and I held off for a few more weeks. I figured a few flowers wouldn't hurt me .


Then the urge overcame me, mid May should be pretty safe, right? I have all my pots from the last house sitting here empty and forlorn. Surely mid May is safe?

I pottered and planted to my heart's content.



Then I added much because we live in New Mexico and I need to learn how to water better.



 This year I am trying three types of tomatoes, a tomatillo, three types of peppers, six zucchini plants, two types of snow peas given by a friend, some swiss chard, nasturtiums, and beans from seeds I had leftover from Oregon. 

As we can see clearly I should plan the layout better and I have room to possibly plant some other things but I've got enough to learn from for the time being. So nice to have my hands back in the soil and growing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment