Saturday, January 14, 2023

Being busy

The start of a new year! So fresh and inviting. I don't really make resolutions but I do make knitting plans and try new habits. I learned long ago resolutions are like ultimatums you give yourself and I don't respond well to ultimatums. I do however think about things I would like to change and try to move forward with making some changes. 
 

I inherited D's grandmother's recipe box a while ago. And thinking about it I would like to tell a bit about it one day. I pulled it out while organizing the pantry and gave it a look since we have been watching Great British Bake Off again. I found a gem called Matrimonial Cake (date bars), since I had already landed my prince I did not feel the need to make this one, but maybe for our anniversary? 

It was quite fun looking through the box again. So many newspaper clipped recipes and even a clipping of her being the senior citizen of the month. I knew what her priorities were when I found the divider card originally labeled vegetables had been changed to cookies. I mean who needs recipes for veggies you just open a can and heat them up, right? Ah midwest cooking a topic for another day.


D had a migraine flare and I knew that once you give it a day or two it is time to take yourself out for an easy hike and enjoy some fresh air. You just have to enjoy The Sandias whenever you can. 


The new year kicked my knitting into over drive. I think just sitting with yarn and patterns and thinking of what to knit is just the refresh I wanted. I pulled out some of my new beloved striping yarn from Urth and started some socks. It is true for me that self striping yarn knits up quick. I have already finished my January socks! 


And planning pays off too since I finally found my favorite match of colorway name and pattern name socks. Pattern is My Cup of Tea Socks by Robin Lynn and the yarn is named Lemongrass Tea. The pattern is sort of the one I referenced. I /rewrote/reworked it for the stitch count I like and I think I left half of the repeat behind. What I'm knitting doesn't really match the pictures I saw online. They will be fantastic anyways and be truly unique to my foibles. That is what you get when you rewrite something then let it sit for a week or so. You forget the details and why your stitch count is different from what you planned. I am loving them regardless.

I have more knitting to show off but one of the things I would like to do is blog more so I may as well end here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment