Saturday, February 25, 2023

Spinning behind the scenes work

I've been trying to get a handle on my spinning, not that I have been really doing much spinning. Just that two moves and reorganization has allowed me to take a few deep looks into my stash. When we moved from Oregon I carefully vacuum packed and packed it into totes, now it it fluffed and being admired. 

Burt is as helpful as ever. I pulled out some handspun yarn and tried to do some calculations to see what I could make. That turned into going a different direction and finally some mittens.



You've seen them they are fabulous, if I do say so myself.


I've even filled a bobbin or two.

But most importantly I've pulled out my hand spun to weigh and catalog. When you start a new hobby it is so easy to just throw yourself in with wild abandon. It is part of the fun of learning. Another part of learning is actually keeping notes and labeling your newly spun yarn. Guess which part I skipped right over.


Sigh, how did I spin so much without keeping track of it? The dyed ones are easier to identify, but as to how they were spun... nope not a clue. Good thing I had fun spinning them, 

Luckily I do like showing off what I have bought, right here on this very blog. I spent a morning weighing and matching subtle natural colors to photos of my stash. I think I matched up half of them at least. With some I even know how I spun them.

I am very curious how four ounces of roving decreased to 1.7 in one yarn making. Either there is another mystery ball out there or I misidentified the wool. That is an unbelievable amount of fiber to fluff off.

I now have a dedicated notebook for spinning and three projects were recorded but alas I must admit I am a horrible spinner note taker. I even looked back through my knitting journals. Not a word about spinning. But then why would there be when I run 6 months behind on those during the good times.

Well the lesson was learned now I just need to keep on applying it.

Happy Spinning?

No comments:

Post a Comment