Sunday, February 21, 2021

Keeping on

I'm still knitting hope you all are doing what you can to stay safe. I do love a striping yarn. I took some Urth Uneek Sock yarn and turned it into socks for the hubby. Because who doesn't love stripy socks? Hubby sure does.


Are those not some beautiful socks? I pulled from the outside of the ball to reverse the color progression. I prefered the darker colors to not be hidden in the shoe.


I started these Sept 6, 2020 an finished them Dec. 5, 2020. Urth Uneek Sock Yarn in color 52. My standard plain 80 stitch formula for the hubby. I think these will be excellent antidote socks for blah days. I mean with that kind of color on your feet plus hand knit, come on!

I am finally making some progress on these fantastic socks for me. Speaking of color, shazam! Socks with a pattern always take me so much longer. I can't just blissfully go round and round, I have to actually pay a bit of attention. I do feel like I should make a few pairs of fancy socks every once in awhile. You know to keep up the old Knitter cred. But this conflicts with my goal of twelve pairs a year. Compromise is essential. The first one was knit mostly in 2020, which gives me an advantage on this year.


I will claim some spinning success this year too. I finally started a spinning notebook too. I always think I will remember what I do but that sure is hard when you're spinning natural colored fibers and you don't have a lot of breed knowledge. I'd like to think I could tell some long wool breed from merino but how good would I be at identifying merino from rambouillet? Not very good I can tell you.


 Not to fear in this case I spun Greenwood Fibers Polworth in the Hawaii colorway. It has even been plyed. This time I learned I have to measure out the lengths separately if I want three singles to ply. Spinning is a bit like socks for me. I'll keep on going till a sock is done or a bobbin is filled. No stopping. 

I also learned that I prefer to strip the braid vertically into three smaller portions rather than working a whole fat bundle to work my way across before progressing to the next color. I don't know if that makes any sense to you but hopefully I'll remember for my next project. 

No comments:

Post a Comment