Saturday, October 13, 2018

And speaking of spinning...

I don't just buy fiber, I spin yarn too.


Meet my batch of lovelies.

I see several Christmas ornaments coming from these. I've got to start knitting with them so I can understand the yarn I'm making, or rope.

My class at OFFF started off asking if any of us had made rope. My hand went right up and I said I just made some last week. No pictures yet as I've been having fun washing the skeins that I like instead. My little success stories first then I'll go back and take some pictures of my learning experiments, maybe.


First up a Polwarth Tussah Silk blend by BJS Fiber Creations. I had just found out that my first wheel was not going to be my spinning friend. But I had faith and bought fiber anyways. I thought I could spin it by spindle if nothing else. Now I don't think of myself as a silk kind of girl anymore but man was this fun to spin. I thought I would have to fight it because silk is slippery but nope. I blinked and the bobbin was full. Love the blue green color!


Ahh fiber that almost stayed in the stash... When you're new to doing something the worry is that you will ruin something with your inexperience. I stayed away from spinning because I thought it would be too technical to pick up easily. As with many things in life spinning is as difficult as you make it. If you want to learn the technical words and stats, you can. If you just want to spin a wheel around and watch fiber changes to yarn, if you're lucky and rope if you're not, you can do that too.

I had held onto this fiber for a couple of years because it was bought from the shepherd and such a beautiful natural silver/gray. Then I opened the bag and touched it. If I want to learn how to spin I've got to spin.


 This yarn just makes me happy. The fiber was bought at one of my last fiber festivals before the East to West move. I thought I should be learning on all the natural fibers first. Then BI urt reminded me that I only have to do what I want. I am the boss of my spinning... he's a smart cat!

This yarn is round, bouncy, elastic and sproingy. I just love the feel of it. It is a three ply that makes me want to spin more.


Burt? He's ok with my new hobby. 

As least Momma is not bringing home any more sisters. 

2 comments:

  1. Looking good! Yes, knit some samples and learn what you like and don't like about your spinning. Always learning :-D.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very impressive! I hope one day to settle my brain down enough to sit down and spin. I love the look of all your handspun!

    ReplyDelete