Saturday, July 27, 2024

Follow an amazing plant with me

I started walking daily back in mid March. I am getting to know the neighborhood quite well. I started with the goal of getting out everyday. It did not matter if it was 10 minutes or an hour, I just had to start getting out there and walking. 

Once my mindset was established I was able to increase my time without even really thinking about it. I would started with a small loop that kept me close to home. But once I was put there I was not breathing too hard and not terribly worn out so I kept going in bigger and bigger loops. I had no set schedule and the decision was made to turn right or left each day. 

Once the heat started increasing I quickly learned the tall walls were not boring but excellent and much needed shade.

I've had a setback or two but I have been faithful to getting out and walking. Now a quick walk ends up being half an hour. I am averaging 20+ miles a week. I have not hit the 26.2 marathon mileage yet.

So yeah I am learning what the neighborhood looks like pretty darn well.

I found this plant that looks like it is a huge asparagus spear growing out of a small agave plant. The spear is over 5 feet tall and a few inches thick, while the base plant is around a foot wide. Such strange proportions.


I walked by it for a month or two without it changing much. Each time I turned the corner I was disappointed. 

Then the spear started to send out off shoots, and they looked so interesting. I was excited to start checking at least once a week to see the progress.  That went on for a month. Sigh I had to see what this would turn into, before my neighbor started getting suspicious of the weird lady taking pics of their UFO plant.






I also stop to take pics of wildlife. Lizards love the walls around here and seem happy to pose as long as you don't get too close. Bunnies don't trust anyone! They blend in so well.


Did this lizard have a bad day at the tail salon? Or did it have an awesome day? 




I kept walking and taking pics, then one day the blooms opened!! I don't know if the bees or I were happier... it was the bees their legs were full of pollen.





Don't you just love a lizard that is rocking their life? I know who gets the cover of my Lizard Vogue.

But alas all good things must end. The plant is listing hard and has shrunken like my Aunt D. Now I will wait and see what the homeowners do this fall. 




Thanks for inspiring me on my walks UFO plant, I enjoyed watching you grow.

1 comment: